Welcome to the Franco-American Hotel. The home of the G.W. Nelson Collection. Please see our before and after pictures showing the renovation of this historic building in Yreka, Ca. Gary & Roselie Nelson have on display their life long collection for viewing.
From a narrow, two story brick house in the 1850's, to an expansive hotel with a 167 foot frontage, the Franco American Hotel became one of the largest and finest inns in Northern California. Started by the Frenchman Leon Marniesse in 1855, the hotel housed a restaurant, Wells Fargo and Company Express Office, saloon and other businesses, and was a well-known stage stop. Through the years improvements consisted if a "piazza" or balcony across the front, additional suites of sleeping rooms upstairs and a two story brick dining room. Among prominent hotel guests were Vice President Colfax, General and Mrs. Philip Sheridan and President Hayes.